I have been thinking alot the past week about the passing of President Hinckley, and getting a new prophet and I wanted to write my thoughts down, so that my kids can know how I felt. Brayden knew who President Hinckley was, whenever he saw his picture or heard his voice he would get so excited and say "that's President Hinckley!" He looked forward to conference time, or "church on tv" as Brayden calls it because he knew he would get to see and hear President Hinckley. I doubt he listened much to his talks, but when he heard his voice he would stop and get that excited look on his face because he knew that was President Hinckley, and I know he had a great love for him! Adi was just starting to know who he was. The other night while watching the news they were talking and showing pictures of President Hinckley and she said "that's President Hinckley, I don't want him to die." Brayden quickly told her that he already died, but that it was ok because he was with his wife and parents and it was better. I am so grateful for President Hinckly and for the love he had for all of us. He truly loved everyone, no matter their race, religion, whatever he loved everyone. You could tell he had a great love for us by the way he spoke and what he taught and stood for and the gentleness about him. I know that he helped to strengthen my testimony so much through the challenges he gave and just by his words in general conferences. He made me want to be such a better person. As I watched his funeral on tv I got emotional thinking of the reunion he had with others who had passed before him. And how pleased our father in heaven was because of the marvelous work he had done here on earth. I was around 13 or so when President Hinckley was ordained as the prophet, but at that age I probably really didn't care too much because I don't remember a thing about it. This time I felt so overwhelmed when they announced the new prophet and his counselors. The way they go about doing it in the Salt Lake temple is so amazing and wonderful to me. My kids will probably remember President Monson more so than President Hinckley, and what a wonderful prophet President Monson will be, but I wanted them to know how I felt about this experience and to let them know what a wonderful man and prophet President Hinckley was and to tell them to always follow the prophet and listen to the teachings they give, because as the primary song says "follow the prohet, don't go astray, follow the prophet, he knows the way!"
Tuesday, February 05, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment